20 Jul Entertaining on a budget
How to transform $50 worth of Costco into a glamorous spread!
I love to entertain. And, crafting a dramatic and creative table is my favorite part. So, when AROUND TOWN anchor Ana Beleval asked if I wanted to turn my passion into a segment, I was thrilled. Yesterday we shot a story that showcased how to transform $50 of food from Costco into what looks like a $500 fancy schmancy spread. Yes, the food needs to be good. But, it can be very simple: cheeses, crudite, meats, guacamole. The trick? It’s all in the presentation. Design and fashion follow share the same principles. Skillful layering, bold pops of color and quirky accents are the ingredients to transform basic food or fashion into glamour.
- Use a ceramic tile to write out your menu. So Parisienne!
- Layering- your tablecloth with
- Style is in the details: Add unexpected accents like air plants and paper mache birds
- Items should pop on the table: make it colorful
- There is drama in diversity: Use a combination of wood, crystal and porcelain serving pieces. Matchy matchy is for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs
- Whip out the wedding gear: Make your table a glorious mélange of high/low. Just like Kate Moss pairs Chanel with ripped Levi cutoffs, your table will have that edge when you have sterling silver next to flea market finds.
- Fleur De Lis Erasable Ceramic Message Board $24.99 from classichostess.com
- Cylinder Beverage Dispenser with Chained Black Board on Rack $39.95 from classichostess.com
USE COUPON CODE “WGN10” FOR 10% OFF CLASSICHOSTESS.COM
- Libbey Flare 16 piece glassware set $22.99 from Kmart stores or kmart.com
- Trays $10-$20 each from Target and/or World Market
- Orange Zest Napkins, set of 6 $22.31 from Amazon Home amazon.com
- Fiesta bright stripe Table Cloth $24.25 from Amazon Home amazon.com
- Diamond plastic cutlery $10 from Amazon Home amazon.com
- Vintage tabletop from Randolph Street Market in Chicago